12.20.2007

Governors Island & West 8

Governors Island will have a new look soon enough. West 8 has been chosen to help design the urban oasis on Governors Island. This summer I waited in line for an hour to head to the Island. It was a great (free) day trip. The Island has beautiful designed mansions and castles! It's very deserted and that is what really makes the place so unique. It was Andrew Moore's Photography that first gave me the desire to head over to the Island. However, you are only allowed on the historic part not the part where these bowling alley/and Burger King images were taken. An old Super 8 motel is right on the border between the Historic/Commercial so we were able too peer into empty hotel rooms. Definitely a highlight of the day. Our tour guide gave us the history of the Island. So interesting!{Andrew Moore Photography}{Andrew Moore Photography}

1 comment:

Who Sees the Seven... said...

I knew I could count on you for Governor's Island updates. It reminds me that I still have yet to travel to said Island. It's on my ever-growing list of "Summer in the City: places to go & things to do". Thanks and keep up the great NYC finds!